Pharmacist Jeff Robins and his team at Essential Wellness provide a compounding pharmacy that blends Western medication with supplements and lifestyle support. Most retail, chain pharmacies are non-compounding pharmacies. They do not make their own medications, but rather are supplied by large drug companies. Essential Wellness specializes in medication that is not commercially available, specialty dosing, bio-identical hormone replacement, pediatric medication and pain management.
There are a limited number of independent pharmacies that still prepare compounded medications, in addition to offering the same non-compounded and over-the-counter drugs that patients can obtain from regular pharmacies. Because the medications that compounding pharmacies prepare are not able to be patented, most consumers may not have even been aware of the option of a compounded medication.
Pharmaceutical compounding is the mixing of drugs by a pharmacist or under pharmacists’ supervision to fit the unique needs of a patient.
Physicians may prescribe an individually compounded medication for a patient with an unusual health need. This allows the physician to tailor a prescription to each individual. Compounding preparations are especially prevalent for:
• Patients requiring limited dosage strengths, such as a very small dose for infants.
• Patients requiring a different formulation, such as turning a pill into a liquid or trans-dermal gel for patients who are unable to swallow pills due to disability.
• Patients requiring an allergen-free medication, such as one without gluten or colored dyes.
• Patients who need drugs that have been discontinued by pharmaceutical manufacturers because of low profitability.
• Children who want flavored additives in liquid drugs, so that the medication tastes like candy or fruit.
• Veterinary Medicine: for a change in dose, a change to a more easily-administered form (such as from a pill to a liquid or trans-dermal gel), or to add a flavor more palatable to the animal.
• Many types of bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, for individualized needs.
Pharmacists have been compounding prescriptions for practitioners for centuries. Jeff, and the Essential Wellness Pharmacy team, is dedicated to the upholding the highest standards in the industry.
*Frequently compounded medications include Thyroid and Bio Identical Hormone Replacement medications.